2021 YRBS Update: The administration of the 2021 VT YRBS has been postposed to the fall due to the potential for students to be remote learning this spring.
Every other year, since 1993, the Health Department and the Agency of Education sponsor the Vermont Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS). In addition, the YRBS is supported by many partners across the state who work to acheive positive outcomes for all youth in Vermont.
The YRBS was developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1990 to monitor priority health risk behaviors that contribute to the leading causes of death, disease, injury and social problems among youth. These behaviors, often established during childhood and early adolescence, include:
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence
- Physical activity
- Weight status
- Tobacco use
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Sexual behaviors
The survey is part of a larger effort to help communities increase the resiliency of young people by reducing high risk behaviors and promoting healthy behaviors. Vermont collects student responses every two years from nearly every high school and middle school in the state.
The statewide report is based on two surveys: a high school survey of students in grades nine through 12, and a middle school survey of students in grades six through eight conducted in public and public/private schools across the state. All schools and students are invited to participate. Student responses from nearly every high school and middle school in the state are included in these reports. Responses are weighted to reflect all public school students in grades six through 12.
From 1995 to 2009, students in grades eight through twelve took the Vermont Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Beginning in 2011, two surveys: a high school survey of students in grades nine through twelve, and a middle school survey of students in grades six through eight were conducted.
|Year||State Report||State Highlights||Executive SUmmary|
|2017||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights||Executive Summary|
|2015||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights|
|2013||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights|
|2011||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights|
|2009||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights|
|2007||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights|
|2005||State YRBS Report||State YRBS Highlights|
Measures of Resilience (2017)
Marijuana Use & Other Risk Behaviors (2015)
|Addison County||Addison County|
|Bennington County||Bennington County|
|Caledonia County||Caledonia County|
|Chittenden County||Chittenden County|
|Essex County||Essex County|
|Franklin County||Franklin County|
|Grand Isle County||Grand Isle County|
|Lamoille County||Lamoille County|
|Orange County||Orange County|
|Orleans County||Orleans County|
|Rutland County||Rutland County|
|Washington County||Washington County|
|Windham County||Windham County|
|Windsor County||Windsor County|
- Vermont School Health Profiles
- CDC YRBS
- Youth Online - Youth Online lets you analyze national, state, and local Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS) data from 1991 - 2015. Data from high school and middle school surveys are included. You can filter and sort on the basis of race/ethnicity, sex, grade, or site, create customized tables and graphs, and perform statistical tests by site and health topic.
- CDC YRBS datasets - CDC provides access to data sets for national, state, and urban school districts from select surveys in the United States. Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) data are available from CDC in two file formats: Access® and ASCII. The Access and ASCII data can be downloaded and used as is. SAS® and SPSS® programs are also provided to convert the ASCII data into SAS® and SPSS® datasets for use in those packages. For more information or to access national datasets, click here.