Vermont has required towns to report all births, marriages and deaths since 1857. Vital records, particularly birth and death records are used to study and monitor the health of a population. The Vermont vital records system includes eight types of vital events: births, deaths, marriages, civil unions, divorces, dissolutions, fetal deaths and abortions.
Vital Records & Population Data
Effective July 1, 2019 changes to the Vermont statutes will enhance the safety and security of birth and death certificates. These changes protect against misuse of these legal documents and reduce the potential for identity theft. Additionally, the changes streamline the statewide system for creating, storing and tracking birth and death certificates.
What You Need to Know
- Only family members, legal guardians, certain court-appointed parties or their legal representatives can apply for a certified copy of a birth or death certificate. For death certificates, a funeral home or crematorium may apply for a certified copy.
- Applicants must show valid identification when applying for a certified copy of a birth or death certificate.
- Certified copies of birth and death certificates can be ordered from any town in Vermont.
- No changes to ordering system for copies of marriage, civil union, divorce or dissolution certificates, but minor changes to what you need to do to obtain a marriage license.
Where you can apply for certified copies of birth and death certificates:
- Any Vermont Town or City Clerk’s office
- Online at secure.vermont.gov/VSARA/vitalrecords
- Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
- Vermont Health Department’s Vital Records Office
Some vital record information is available online. If you are doing genealogy or family research, visit the Secretary of State’s Vital Records page.
Vital Records Process Change Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
In-person transactions at the customer service window (108 Cherry Street, Burlington) have been suspended until further notice.
- Order a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate
- Order a Certified Copy of a Death Certificate
- Order a Certified Copy of a Marriage or Civil Union Certificate
- Order a Certified Copy of a Divorce or Dissolution of Civil Union Certificate
In This Section
The Vermont vital statistics system monitors vital events in Vermont, including births, deaths, marriages, divorces, dissolutions, fetal deaths and abortions.