Vermont Department of Health Oversees Radioactive Materials

As of October 1, 2019, the Vermont Department of Health has regulatory control for the licensing of those who possess, use, transfer or store radioactive materials. This is determined by an agreement between the State of Vermont and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). 

Users of byproduct, source and special nuclear material are required to get a license from the Health Department before obtaining radioactive materials. These materials are used in hospitals, universities and industries for a variety of purposes.

The Radioactive Materials Program conducts licensing actions, inspects licensees for compliance with regulations, and works with licensees to ensure the safety and security of licensed radioactive materials. Vermont has referenced most of the NRC’s regulations and guidance to help with the transition from federal to state control and to help support a “national” radioactive materials program.

This means that the Vermont Radioactive Materials Regulations are very similar to those found in Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR) and Vermont’s licensing guidance is either the same or similar to the NRC’s guidance documents. The Health Department recommends licensees use the checklist in the appropriate NUREG-1556 volume when submitting an application for a radioactive materials license.

Security of radioactive materials (in accordance with Vermont regulations and 10 CFR Part 37) and emergency response are critical components of the Radioactive Materials Program. There are reporting requirements for any incident involving licensed radioactive materials. There are also reporting time limits of as little as four hours or less.

Most importantly, it is critical that the appropriate authorities know about an incident in a timely manner for public health and safety. If a radioactive materials incident requires emergency medical services, fire department or law enforcement response, call 911 without delay. Report incidents involving licensed radioactive materials to the Vermont Emergency Management Watch Officer at 800-347-0488. This number is staffed 24 hours-a-day, 365 days a year. The Watch Officer will contact the Radiological Health Program so they can respond as appropriate.

Guide to Radioactive Materials License Types

Radioactive Materials Guidance

Radioactive Materials Licensing Forms

Last Updated: