Many employed adults are affected by mental health conditions that interfere with their personal and professional success and wellbeing. Work-related stress is also a major issue for many people, contributing to poor physical and emotional health, as well as decreased productivity and job satisfaction. Creating a workplace culture and environment that supports the emotional wellbeing of all employees can result in healthier and more productive employees.
- Have a policy that supports employees who have mental health conditions, including leaves of absence and plans for returning to work.
- Have a policy addressing the use of alcohol and substances at work and work-related functions.
- Provide training for supervisors on recognizing and responding to performance issues that may signal distress.
- Provide orientation for employees on workplace policies and support for mental health and substance use recovery.
- Provide stress-reduction activities at the workplace.
- Ensure that all employees are welcomed and included in workplace activities and wellness programs, regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, race or ethnicity.
- Provide education to employees on mental health and substance use, such as health messages, screenings or on-site classes or clinics.
- Provide employees with a list of local resources on mental health and substance use support.
- Provide employees with information on the mental health benefits offered through the organziation's insurance.
- Provide access to an employee assistance program.
- Allow employees to access support services during working hours.
- Promote responsible drinking at work-related events where alcohol is present.
- No-cost emotional wellness program for individuals
- Vermont Department of Health Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Program
- Invest EAP
- Vermont 2-1-1
- Pride Center of Vermont
- Mature Workers Program
- Creative Workforce Solutions
- Division for Blind and Visually Impaired
- Vermont Center for Independent Living
- Child Care Benefits Resource Guide by Let's Grow Kids