Asbestos and Lead Information for Renters

The information on this page is for renters.

A question mark with the words "Did you know?" under it.
Why are asbestos and lead regulated in Vermont?

Asbestos and lead pose health risks, and they may be found in buildings and other structures. Because of this, the Health Department and the Environmental Protection Agency have specific requirements for the maintenance, renovation and demolition of buildings and other structures.

Asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) are only dangerous when they are disturbed or handled incorrectly. If ACMs are not handled properly, asbestos particles can be breathed in. Even a small amount of ACM can cause health effects. Learn more about the hazards and health effects of asbestos.

Lead-based paint becomes a hazard when it is disturbed. This can be from chipping and peeling paint, when painted surfaces rub together, or when the paint is not properly sanded, scraped or burned. If lead-based paint is not handled properly, lead dust can be breathed in or swallowed by workers and by people, especially children, who use the building or other structure. Learn more about the hazards and health effects of lead.

What You Need to Know About Asbestos and Lead Requirements

What are my landlord's responsibilities related to asbestos and lead?


By law, your landlord is required to do the following:

  • Before a renovation, an inspection must be done to identify possible asbestos-containing materials.
  • Hire a Vermont-licensed asbestos inspector to conduct the inspection.
  • Hire a Vermont-licensed abatement contractor for any asbestos repair or abatement.


If you are renting a property that was built before 1978, your landlord or property manager is required to make sure lead paint is in good condition so that it does not cause lead poisoning. 

Your landlord must file an annual IRC Practices compliance statement and give you a copy of it when you sign your lease and each year within 10 days of them filing the statement. You can look up IRC Practices filing statements online. If you do not find a statement for your home, please fill out this survey so we can try to find the compliance statement. If we do not find one, we will work with your landlord to bring them into compliance. 

If your landlord is doing renovations, repairs or painting, they must hire a lead-safe licensed contractor or be licensed themselves. Learn more about Vermont RRPM.

What are safe work practices for asbestos and lead?


Under Vermont law, only licensed contractors are allowed to perform asbestos abatement activities and must follow the regulations regarding the handling and disposing of asbestos-containing materials.


Under Vermont law, contractors and landlords are required to use lead-safe work practices.

Learn more about the Vermont Lead Poisoning Prevention Law

How can I test for asbestos or lead hazards?


If you want to know whether there are asbestos-containing materials in a home, building, structure or material, hire a Vermont-licensed asbestos inspector to conduct an inspection.


Lead-Based Paint

If you want to know whether lead-based paint is on a home, building or other structure, hire a Vermont-certified lead inspector or risk assessor to conduct a lead inspection or risk assessment. A lead inspection determines the presence or absence of lead-based paint on painted or coated surfaces. A risk assessment identifies lead hazards from deteriorated paint, dust and bare soil, and ways to control the lead hazards.

Drinking Water

Test kits for lead in drinking water can be purchased from the Health Department Laboratory. 

Find out more about testing for lead in drinking water

More Information
two pieces of paper signifying a document or PDF
Vermont Regulations for Asbestos Control
two pieces of paper signifying a document or PDF
Vermont Regulations for Lead Control
A pointer cursor signifying a website link.
Lead Hazards and How to Prevent Lead Poisoning
Contact Us

Asbestos & Lead Regulatory Program

Mailing Address:

VT Dept of Health
Environmental Health
Asbestos & Lead Regulatory Program
280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-8350

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 802-863-7220 or 800-439-8550 (toll-free in Vermont)

Last Updated: