Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program

In Vermont, it is illegal to drive a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.If you are convicted of driving under the influence, you must complete the Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program (IDRP) to reinstate your privilege to drive.

The IDRP Process:

  1. Evaluation: An IDRP Clinical Evaluator will evaluate your program requirements.
  2. Education: 10 hours of education including lectures, reading materials, videos and small group discussions. This education is the same anywhere in Vermont and can be completed in 2 days or over 4 weeks.
  3. Treatment: If the Evaluator decides that treatment is required, you must complete the mandatory number of hours with a licensed clinician.
  4. Exit Interview: The Evaluator may require an exit interview after you complete your requirements.

Contact the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at 802-828-2000 for other requirements or suspensions.

vermont Programs

If you have a first or second offense, you may participate in either the intensive (10 hours in 2 days) or non-intensive (10 hours over 4 weeks) IDRP. Contact your preferred program listed below to register.

Non-Intensive Programs (10 hours over 4 weeks)
Non-Intensive Programs (10 Hours over 4 weeks)
Bennington Turning Point Center 802-379-5117
Brattleboro Brattleboro Retreat 802-258-6928
Burlington Howard Center 802-488-6150
Montpelier Central Vermont Substance Abuse Services 802-223-4156
Rutland Rutland Mental Health 802-747-3588
St. Johnsbury Northeast Kingdom Human Services 802-748-1682
Springfield Health Care & Rehabilitation Services 802-886-4500
Intensive Programs (10 hours over 2 days)
Intensive Programs (10 hours over 2 days)
Bennington Turning Point Center (starting Feb 2020) 802-379-5117
Burlington Howard Center 802-488-6151
Middlebury CARTER 802-373-1434
Morrisville CARTER 802-373-1434
Newport NEK Counseling 802-673-4907
St. Albans CARTER 802-373-1434
St. Johnsbury Northeast Kingdom Human Resources 802-748-1682
White River Junction Rutland Mental Health 802-747-3588

Out of State Programs

If you live out-of-state and receive an impaired driving offense in Vermont, you must complete your state’s approved program and provide proof of completion.

Vermont is a member of the 47 State Driver License Interstate Compact, which allows the exchange of information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents.

Lifetime Suspensions

If you live in Vermont and have a lifetime suspension, you will need to complete the IDRP and apply for reinstatement of your license through the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Total Abstinence Reinstatement Program.

frequently asked questions

How much does the IDRP cost?

The costs vary based on requirements. The mandatory evaluation is $180. The non-intensive (10 hours over 4 weeks) education program is $220. The cost for the intensive program varies by location.

How do I register for the IDRP?

Contact your preferred location from the list of programs above.

How long does it take to get my license be reinstated after I complete the IDRP?

After you complete all of your requirements, the IDRP Central Office will process your paperwork within 10 days and provide it to the DMV. The DMV usually processes the paperwork  within 5 business days.

What form does my treatment clinician need to fill out?

Your treatment clinician must complete the Treatment Information Form.

How do I schedule my exit interview?

Contact your IDRP Clinical Evaluator to schedule an exit interview after you have completed all requirements.

What out of state programs are accepted?

Contact the IDRP Central Office for information about acceptable out of state programs.

What are the treatment requirements?
  Minimum hours of Required Treatment
1st Offense 4 or more hours, if treatment is requred by the IDRP Clinical Evaluator
2nd Offense 20 or more hours
3rd Offense or more
(Lifetime Suspension)
20 or more hours, plus DMV Total Abstinence Program

Your clinician may require more than the minimum number of treatment hours based on your progress. These additional treatment hours must be completed to complete the IDRP.

Can I start treatment before I complete the education?

Yes! You can start treatment at any time.

Can I start the IDRP before court?


If my charges are dropped, do I need to complete the IDRP?

No, unless the court requires that you complete the IDRP as part of the agreement of your charges being dropped.

Can I take an online IDRP course?

Online programs are not accepted by the IDRP. If you do not live in Vermont, please contact the IDRP Central Office for help.

Can my alcohol or other drug counseling replace the education program?

No. You may be required to complete counseling in addition to the education program, but it cannot replace it. If you have a lifetime suspension, contact the IDRP Central Office for help.

Can my victim's impact panel replace the IDRP?

No. The court may require you to attend a victim's impact panel, but it is not part of the IDRP.

Can my Safe Driving Program replace the IDRP?

No. The court may require you to take the Safe Driving Program, but is it not part of the IDRP.

Do I need to complete the IDRP before I can get an ignition interlock device installed?

No, but the IDRP may be required to remove the ignition interlock device to avoid suspension.

Are urine drug screenings and abstinence required for the IDRP?

You may be asked to submit urine drug screens or engage in a period of abstinence by the IDRP Evaluator or the treatment clinician.

I have been able to get my license reinstated before without the IDRP, why now?

The federal government requires that all states participate in the National Driver Register to prevent people who have a suspended license in one state from getting license in another state. Some states only recently began checking the register.

Contact us

Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program (IDRP) Central Office
Department of Health, Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs
108 Cherry Street
Burlington, VT 05401

Phone: 802-651-1574
Please leave your phone number and a good time to reach you.
Messages will be returned within two business days.

Fax: 1-866-272-7989