- A Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order is a written order by the patient’s clinician directing health care providers not to attempt resuscitation.
- Clinician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (COLST) is a clinician’s order or orders for treatment. This may include limitations on treatment or medical interventions. It may also include a DNR order.
Instructions & order form
DNR/COLST orders must be issued on the form below, which includes instructions for completing the form. This does not apply to health care facilities, which may document DNR/COLST orders in the patient's record in a facility-specific manner when the patient is in their care.
Individuals may wish to purchase a wearable DNR ID. The Health Department has approved the following vendors:
- Order online from MedicAlert®
- Average cost: $27.99 (plus shipping and handling)
- Annual membership fee: $29.99 for first 12 months
Financial assistance may be available through the MedicAlert® Sponsored Service Program if MedicAlert ® receives a completed MedicAlert® Foundation enrollment form, AND one of the following:
- A statement from a state or federal agency or program attesting to the enrollee’s inability to afford the service fees, OR;
- A statement from the individual requesting the sponsorship AND proof of hardship/income from a state or federal government public assistance program, such as copy of Medicaid card, copy of food stamp program assistance, or copy of current year Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) determination letter with dollar amount. Additional proof of hardship/income may be required.
StickyJ Medical Id
- Order online from StickyJ or fill out and mail their order form
- Average cost: $27.90 (including shipping)
- No annual fee
- No financial assistance