Marriage and Civil Union Certificates

Marriage and Civil Union Certificates

Couples planning to marry in Vermont may complete the Application for Vermont License of Civil Marriage form online and bring it to the town clerk in their town of residence. If neither applicant is a resident of Vermont, then the application may be presented to any town clerk within Vermont. The clerk issues a license that the couple takes to an officiant. The officiant signs, dates, and returns the license to the town clerk. Then the town clerk records and files the certificate and sends a certified copy to the Health Department.

Civil unions were established in Vermont in 2000 to provide same-sex couples all the benefits, protections and responsibilities under law as are granted to spouses in a marriage. The marriage equality act, effective September 1, 2009 allows same-sex couples to marry in Vermont. This discontinued the need for the separate status of "civil unions." Civil unions entered into prior to September 1, 2009 will continue to be recognized as civil unions.

order a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate

Some internet browsers will not allow for the filling of a PDF file. You may need a current version of Adobe Reader to complete this process. If so, click on the link below for a free download.

Get Adobe Reader
Related Resources