The Vermont Lead Law requires owners of residential rental buildings and child care facilities built before 1978 to do Essential Maintenance Practices (EMPs) to help prevent lead poisoning in children. These are relatively inexpensive maintenance activities, which include inspecting the property for chipping and peeling paint. Learn more about what landlords and child care providers need to do.
EMPs must be performed by an EMP-certified person. We recommend that all rental property and child care owners or managers become EMP certified.
To become EMP certified, you must attend a Health Department approved EMP training and take an exam. You must get at least an 80% on the exam to receive your certificate. Certificates will be sent by email within two weeks, or you can request that a hard copy be mailed to you.
The EMP training is offered in person and online. You can choose to attend an in-person class or two different online class options. The total time for the training and exam is about 4 hours.
In-Person EMP Training
The in-person training is a 4-hour class, including time for the exam. We recommend you review the EMP Course Manual before attending the class.
Online EMP Training
There are two options for online training: a live virtual class or a self-paced class with a question and answer session.
Live 2-hour Virtual Class
- The class will be held using the Microsoft Teams meeting platform.
- When you register for the live virtual class, you will receive a link to the Eventbrite page that will have a link to the class.
- You are required to review the EMP training materials before attending the class.
- You will be able to ask questions during the class.
- At the end of the class, you will receive a link to the exam. You have until noon the next day to complete your exam.
- Attendance will be taken during the class and the exam link will only be sent to those who attend the class.
Self-paced Class with a Live 1-hour Question and Answer (Q & A) Session
- The Q & A session will be held using the Microsoft Teams meeting platform with an option to call in by phone.
- When you register for the self-paced option, you will receive a link to the Eventbrite page that will have the link and call-in number to the Q & A session.
- You are required to review the EMP training materials before attending the Q & A session, which includes watching a 1.5-hour recording of the EMP training.
- You are required to attend the 1-hour Q & A session. It will be an open discussion hosted by members of the Asbestos and Lead Regulatory Program. Please come prepared with questions to ask.
- At the end of the Q & A session, you will receive a link to the exam. You have until noon the next day to complete your exam.
- Attendance will be taken during the Q & A session and the exam link will only be sent to those who attend the Q & A session.
EMP Training Materials
If you are completing the online training, please review these materials before you attend the live virtual class or Q & A session:
- EMP Course Manual – review this if you are attending the live virtual class or are completing the self-paced option.
- Introductory Videos – watch the six videos below if you are attending the live virtual class or are completing the self-paced option. The total viewing time is about 25 minutes.
- Recording of the EMP Training – watch this if you are completing the self-paced option. The viewing time is about 1.5 hours.