Sometimes children need extra help with their daily self-care routine. Children’s Personal Care Services may be able to help families to pay for one-on-one assistance for a child that needs assistance with dressing, bathing, grooming, toileting, eating and/or mobility.
To be eligible, a child must:
- Be younger than age 21
- Have Vermont Medicaid
- Be diagnosed with a health condition or disability by a doctor, physician’s assistant, nurse practitioner or other licensed clinician; and
- Need help with tasks like dressing, bathing, grooming, toileting, eating or mobility
To apply for services, the family must work with a trained assessor to complete the Children’s Personal Care application. Children with Special Health Needs also has care coordinators around the state who can help. Once the application is done, the assessor sends it to Children’s Personal Care Services to review and make a decision.
Children’s Personal Care Services is mostly a family-directed support. This means that families have control over who, how and when someone provides care to their child, within Medicaid guidelines.
Many people can become your Children’s Personal Care Services employee, or personal care attendant, and families can hire the best person to meet the needs of their child. There are, however, a few rules about who can and cannot be hired – including policies relating to family members, age of paid caregivers and background checks. See a summary of the program guidelines.
Families use a payroll agent to help them pay personal care attendants (currently, ARIS Solutions). The payroll agent does more than just write checks. The payroll agent also makes sure that background checks are run, state and federal taxes are paid, and employees are covered by Unemployment and Workers’ Compensation Insurance.
- Children’s Personal Care Services Intake Form (A completed sample is available here)
- Children’s Personal Care Services Functional Ability Screening Tool (FAST)
- Supporting clinical and educational records (gathered by the family)
- Children with Special Health Needs Diagnosis Verification Form (for new applicants)
Children with Special Health Needs
Vermont Department of Health
108 Cherry Street, PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402
Tel: 800-660-4427 or 802-863-7338