Becoming insured is the first step in being able to access health care and screenings for children and youth. The Vermont Department of Health wants to ensure all children have health insurance, medical and dental homes (a home-base for a child’s health or dental care) and that families understand and are receiving age-appropriate health care as recommended by Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents published by the American Academy of Pediatrics. By making sure your child has insurance, you will be able to work with health care professionals to:
- Assess and identify problems early
- Periodically check your child’s health at age-appropriate intervals
- Provide physical, mental, developmental, dental, hearing, vision and other screening tests to detect potential problems
- Perform diagnostic tests to follow-up when a health risk is identified
- Control, correct, or reduce health problems found
Your medical provider can then assist you to address your child’s specific physical, emotional, and developmental needs, and to access needed services.
Dr. Dynasaur - Medicaid
Dr. Dynasaur is Vermont’s low-cost or free health insurance for children, teenagers under age 19, and for pregnant people. Visit Green Mountain Care or call 1-800-250-8427 for more information about what services are covered.
Apply for Health Insurance
If you are uninsured, visit Vermont Health Connect or call 855-899-9600. Vermont Health Connect is the state's health insurance marketplace. Here you will find more information about health insurance plans, determine which plans you may be eligible for (while meeting your needs or budget), make changes to your existing plan purchased through Vermont Health Connect, report a change in circumstance, and learn more about how to get the most from your health plan coverage.
Through the Vermont Health Connect website, you can also contact someone to receive in-person help. These “Assisters” have been trained to help individuals and small businesses understand Vermont Health Connect and choose the health plan that meets their needs and budget.
Print and share this flyer to inform families about the services and programs available:
You can also assist families by connecting them to:
- Green Mountain Care or call 1-800-250-8427 for more information about what is covered by Dr. Dynasaur.
- Vermont Health Connect or call 855-899-9600
- Find In-Person Help: use this website to find an “Assister” organization near you.