HOW DO I JOIN WIC?
"We have always had a good balanced diet, but having access to these foods helps our budget greatly and allows us to continue to provide healthy balanced meals.” - Vermont WIC Participant
LOCAL WIC HIGHLIGHTS
The Middlebury Office of Local Health is the place to come for WIC if you live in:
Bristol, Vergennes, Starksboro, Orwell, Shoreham, Whiting, Leicester, Goshen, Hancock, Granville, Salisbury, Ripton, Lincoln, Middlebury, New Haven, Weybridge, Ferrisburg, Monkton, Panton, Addison, Bridport and Waltham.
Is your home in another town? Find out which office is for you.
Appointments are currently offered over the phone, via video, or in person in our Middlebury office. Please call our office to find an appointment that's most convenient for you: 802-388-4644.
WIC activities are offered in the office and community. Find out what WIC activities are happening in your area.
- Fit WIC encourages your family to play every day, with ideas for indoor and outdoor play, building skills, and finding new places to visit.
- Participation in an activity or a WIChealth.org lesson helps keep your benefits activities
There are many ways WIC can help you succeed with breastfeeding, including:
- Extra WIC foods for breastfeeding parents
- Breastfeeding peer counselors (available in some offices)
- Referrals to community lactation consultants and other support services
- Breast pumps
- Breastfeeding groups and classes
- Help is available to make sure families make the most of breastfeeding by answering questions and providing support on baby feeding and behavior.
- Breastfeeding resources and education are offered to all pregnant women as they prepare for the arrival of their new baby.
- Our office is breastfeeding friendly! Anyone can use our private infant feeding room.
For more details, see the WIC breastfeeding section of this page or call us at 802-388-4644
At a farmers market you can buy just-picked fruits and vegetables and find something new to try. The market can also be a great learning experience for your kids! The Vermont Farm to Family Program offers coupons for free, locally grown vegetables and fruits to eligible WIC participants. See a list of participating farmers markets
- Coupons are available for use at participating markets throughout our region on a first come, first served basis.
- Coupons can be picked up at our office after completing a WIChealth.org lesson or attending a scheduled distribution at the office or a local market.
- Coupons can be used July through October, giving families the chance to select their favorite fruits and vegetables!
We pride ourselves in making sure families are connected with the resources in our community to help meet and maintain their goals. We connect WIC participants with a variety of resources related to food, child care, health care, drug and alcohol programs and housing.
Health Care and Community Program Referrals
- Home visiting is available through a referral to the Children’s Integrated Services Program for families from pregnancy to age 5. Get support for breastfeeding, parenting, child care, screenings and help connecting with other services and resources.
- Need help finding a local doctor or dentist? Need to know how to access food stamps or health insurance? WIC staff can help!