If you need to reset your EDRS password, click on the following link:
You will be asked to enter your email address that is associated with your EDRS account.
A link will be emailed to you where you can reset your password.
User passwords will expire every 6 months.
Browser Compatibility: The Electronic Death Registration System is compatible with Firefox version 8 or higher. Currently the application cannot be accessed with other browsers (Edge, Chrome, Safari, etc.). A version compatible with Edge will be released later this month.
About the Electronic Death Registration System (EDRS)
This web-based application allows funeral directors and physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses to submit death records at any time and from any location having internet access. The EDRS facilitates more timely and accurate reporting of deaths which helps loved ones heal. It also helps us better understand public health in Vermont.
I forgot my username or password. How can I recover it?
- To reset your password click on the forgot password link located below the EDRS login box near the top of this page.
- To recover your username send an email to [email protected]. Provide your full name and email address associated with your EDRS account.
What do I do if my username and password are not working?
- Three failed log on attempts will result in locking your account. If you have had three or more failed attempts and it is possible that you entered your username or password incorrectly, wait 30 minutes and try again.
- Be sure you are using a supported browser.
- Email [email protected]. Provide a screenshot of the error message you are getting.
I am not enrolled as an EDRS user. How can I sign up?
- Physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses that are not enrolled as EDRS users can enroll by completing the training titled Certifying a Death in Vermont and completing the assessment and survey at the end of the training.
What do I do if, after logging on, the system remains in a loading status?
- A pop-up blocker may be preventing the application from opening. If, after logging in, you are notified by your web browser that a pop-up has been blocked, click on the options prompt and always allow pop-ups from apps.health.vermont.gov.
- The system is only compatible with Firefox version 8 or higher. The system will cannot currently be loaded in other browsers (Edge, Chrome, Safari, etc.).
How can I make a correction on a signed or certified copy of a vital record?
- Select the appropriate application from the forms below:
- Only enter the information that needs to be corrected in the corresponding numbered box.
- Sign and date the completed form.
- Email the form to [email protected], or fax to 802-651-1787.
What do I do if my hospital affiliation or contact information has changed?
- This information can only be updated by the Vital Records Office. Email your updated contact information to [email protected].
- Email [email protected] or call 802-863-7275 for assistance.
- Find more information in our training materials below.
- The Vital Records Office is open Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Funeral directors are critical to death reporting in Vermont. Your role in the system is highly valued, as is your time. As we have developed the EDRS one important goal has been to assure the death reporting process is as easy and efficient as possible for you to use. We also want to be sure you are prepared and supported as you use the new forms, processes, and the EDRS.
Physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses are required to report deaths using the EDRS within 24 hours of the death. Physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses that are not enrolled as EDRS users can enroll by completing the training titled Certifying a Death in Vermont and completing the assessment and survey at the end of the training.
If you are experiencing difficulties and can’t wait for normal business hours to proceed, you may report the death using the Preliminary Report of Death form. Physicians should deliver the signed medical certification page of the form to the funeral director, or to the family if there is no funeral director involved, within 24 hours of the death.
IMPORTANT: The Preliminary Report of Death is not a final death certificate. Once complete it must be submitted to the Vermont Department of Health Vital Records office within 48 hours of the death to become a registered certificate.
In Vermont, physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses bear the primary responsibility for completing a certificate of death when they were the last provider in attendance of the deceased. The law allows, and it is common practice, that health care providers delegate the responsibility for gathering demographic information to the funeral director. (18 VSA § 5202)
Physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses are required to report deaths using the EDRS within 24 hours of the death. Reporting Vermont deaths with the EDRS reduces the amount of time families must wait for burial transit permits, cremation permits and death certificates allowing them to promptly proceed with funeral arrangements and begin the process of settling the estate.
Enrolling as an EDRS User
To enroll as an EDRS user, complete the training titled Certifying a Death in Vermont and completing the assessment and survey at the end of the training.
- Certifying a Death in Vermont: This training module covers how to use the EDRS, how to properly certify a death, and how to enroll as an EDRS user.
- EDRS Quick Guide for Physicians
- Office of the Chief Medical Examiner: Death Certificate Tutorial
- CDC's Improving Cause of Death Reporting online training
- CDC's Cause of Death mobile application
- Preliminary Report of Death
- Request to Correct a Death Certificate - Demographics
- Request to Correct a Death Certificate - Medical
- Preliminary Report Fax Cover Sheet
- EDRS User Agreement - Funeral Home Clerk
- EDRS User Agreement - Funeral Director
- EDRS User Agreement - Medical Clerk
- EDRS User Agreement - Assistant Medical Examiner