Divorce and Dissolution Certificates

Divorce and Dissolution Certificates

A divorce certificate or certificate dissolving a civil union is initiated by a lawyer or other individual handling the divorce or dissolution. The certificate is filed with the court as part of the divorce or dissolution proceedings. The court keeps the certificate until the decree becomes final, usually three months after the court hearing. When the decree is final, the court clerk signs the certificate and sends it to the Health Department for filing.

Effective July 1, 2012, non-resident couples joined in a Vermont civil union or a Vermont marriage who are legally barred from dissolving the union or marriage in their state of residence may file a complaint for divorce without having to establish residence in Vermont, provided certain criteria are met. For more information, please contact the family division of superior court in the Vermont county where the civil union or marriage certificate was filed: Vermont Superior Court, Family Division.

Order a Certified Copy of a Divorce or Dissolution Certificate

Some internet browsers will not allow for the filling of a PDF file. You may need a current version of Adobe Reader to complete this process. If so, click on the link below for a free download.

Get Adobe Reader