As described in Act 68 (2019) the Vermont Department of Health provides links and contact information relevant to the Veterans Affairs Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the registry is a tool to help service members and veterans become more aware of their own health and to help the Department of Veterans Affairs to identify health conditions possibly related to burn pit exposure or other airborne hazards during military service.

Participation in the registry is voluntary. Active-duty service members and veterans can participate in the registry by completing a web-based health questionnaire about their health and exposures to airborne hazards. Information reported by participants is maintained in a secure database, and may be used in future research studies.

Eligibility for participation in the Registry

Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation New Dawn and Operation Freedom's Sentinel veterans and service members who have deployed to the Southwest Asia theater of operations on or after August 2, 1990 as well as those who have deployed to Afghanistan or Djibouti after September 11, 2001 can use the registry questionnaire to report exposures to airborne hazards (such as smoke from burn pits, oil-well fires, or pollution during deployment), as well as other exposures and health concerns.


Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pits Registry

Contact Information

Find contact information for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry

White River Junction Veteran's Administration Medical Center
215 North Main Street
White River Junction, VT 05009

Audrey Osgood, Vermont Environmental Health Coordinator
(802) 295-9363 x5909
[email protected]
Fax: (802) 296-6335

See up-to-date contact information

Educational Materials

The Department of Health is working with partners to develop educational materials that provide information about health effects that are associated with chemicals identified at open burn pits during overseas military deployments. These materials will be available on this page and through the Vermont Board of Medical Licensing and other health care provider licensing bodies.

Last Updated: