Our School Liaison works closely with all schools across the district to promote health, wellness and a safe environment for our children. To achieve this, we work with School Wellness Teams using the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child framework. We provide assistance as schools create and update their school wellness policies and help with understanding applicable state and federal guidelines including immunization requirements
better health for our community's children
- We host an Annual School Nurses Conference each August. During this conference we share local resources and strategies for the upcoming year, and discuss best practices with interpreting public health data related to schools, such as the Youth Risk Behavior Survey.
- The School Liaison attends monthly meetings with area school nurses to provide guidance and suggestions for the upcoming year, with a particular focus on health concerns commonly faced by students, families and staff in the school setting.
- Technical assistance is available during the Medicaid reinvestment process to help ensure each school is eligible for available funding related to health and fitness.
- We provide school nurses information about Vermont’s health insurance options to help ensure families have access to medical care, dental care, and mental health care.
- We work to share information about immunization schedules and safe hygiene in school settings.