WIC is the Federal Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. WIC provides access to healthy food, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to health care and other community programs. You can trust WIC to be your family's nutrition expert during critical periods of growth and development, like pregnancy, infancy and early childhood.
Over half of the new babies and 40% of pregnant women in Vermont benefit from WIC.
Join Wic Today
Pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children up to age five can be eligible for WIC. Give us a call to find out if you are eligible. Have Vermont Medicaid? You are eligible!
There are many ways to apply for WIC. Choose the option that works best for you and your family:
- Call the St. Albans district office at 802-524-7970 or email us at AHS.VDHOLHStAlbans@vermont.gov.
- Stop by our office at 27 Federal Street in St. Albans. We are on the second floor of the State Office Building.
We offer a variety of dates and times for WIC Clinics, including evening hours and same day scheduling. We also host WIC Clinics at a variety of locations:
Richford Health Center
Food City - St. Albans
Georgia Market - Georgia
Hannaford - Enosburg
Hannaford - St. Albans
Hannaford - Swanton
Keelers Bay Variety - South Hero
Price Chopper - Champlain (NY)
Price Chopper - St. Albans
Steeple Market - Fairfax
Vista Foods - Richford
Buy your WIC foods at authorized grocers using your Vermont eWIC card. The card looks and works like a debit card. You can shop when it's convenient and choose from a wide variety of WIC-approved foods.
- Our staff includes peer counselors available to support pregnant and new mothers. The peer counselors are also WIC moms. The support is generally over the phone.
- We provide an infant comfort station at community events, such as the Maple Festival, the Baby Expo, and Month of the Young Child. The station is staffed by an experienced WIC mom, and it provides mothers and babies a relaxed setting for breastfeeding.
- We work with community partners to provide breastfeeding support groups. We consult with and support for employers working to be breastfeeding friendly. We work with childcare providers to help them support breastfeeding families.
- We provide hand breast pumps for WIC moms, as well as electric pumps for WIC moms who are returning to school or work. We provide education about and support for pumping.
Young children and pregnant women are at an increased risk for developing a variety of dental issues. Brushing twice a day, flossing, having a source of fluoride, receiving routine dental care, and consuming a diet free of extra sugar are just some of the ways that you can help avoid dental cavities and gum disease. Our dental hygienist can help connect you with a dental practice and can offer tips to help you achieve and maintain good oral health! To learn more, call 802-527-6159.
We pride ourselves in making sure families are connected with the resources in our community to help meet and maintain their goals. We connect WIC participants with a variety of resources on a variety of topics including:
- Health Insurance
- Affordable Housing
- Childcare / Preschool
Some community partners that we make referrals to include:
- Physician Offices, Dental Offices, & Mental Health Office
- Strong Families Vermont
- Children's Intergrated Services
- 802 Quits
- Champlain Valley Head Start
- The Family Center: Parent Child Family Center of NCSS
Our WIC staff welcomes you!