Our Maternal and Child Health Coordinator develops and maintains relationships with community organizations and health care providers to improve health outcomes for pregnant and postpartum women and children. To do this we:
- Connect with health care providers to promote statewide public health messages such as: safe sleep practices, dental health resources and smoking cessation supports, among others.
- Promote public health services such as WIC.
- Serve on teams dedicated to protecting the health and safety of children and families.
- Share best practices and resources within the community to support pregnant and postpartum women and their children.
- Regularly review and share data with community partners.
- Collaborate with local health care providers, hospitals and partner organizations such as Building Bright Futures, Orleans and Essex VNA and Hospice, Northern Counties Health Care and Children’s Integrated Services to create systems to improve access to care.
- Help women access health care for healthy pregnancies and refer women and their partners to substance abuse support services and smoking cessation services.
Our local health office also supports breastfeeding in the community. We do this by collaborating with workplaces to make them more accessible to breastfeeding moms. For example, through a Breastfeeding Friendly Employers grant, local businesses and schools were able to create private lactation spaces within their organizations. These Vermont workplaces listed by county actively support the health of its employees and their families by making it easier to continue breastfeeding for the first year of life and beyond. We also partner with the Breastfeeding Coalition of Northeast Kingdom to promote World Breastfeeding Week in August of each year. This includes hosting a mother-baby comfort tent at the Orleans Essex County fair each August.