Our Emergency Preparedness Public Health Specialist, a trained Homeland Security Exercise Evaluator, works to ensure that Health Department staff, community partners and the public have access to the information and resources they need to be prepared for public health emergencies. Specifically, the Emergency Preparedness Public Health Specialist:
- Participates in the Local Emergency Planning Committee meetings in Middlebury
- Partners with the Addison County Regional Planning Commission on training and emergency exercises.
- Plans emergency preparedness exercises, like the exercise last year that was held at the Cabot Creamery site in Middlebury.
- Evaluates emergency exercises at Porter Hospital.
- Participates in the Addison County Safety Team with local businesses.
In 2015, the Middlebury Local Health Office ran an emergency preparedness exercise in Vergennes. All Middlebury Local Health Office staff participated, as well as staff from neighboring Health Department offices and our wonderful Medical Reserve Corps volunteers. Community members volunteered to be actors in this exercise to evaluate our ability to quickly distribute medicine to the community. Addison County has four medication distribution sites. We are also working with several large Addison County businesses to create pre-arranged distribution sites for their own employees and their families.
The Medical Reserve Corps is a community based program of volunteers who donate their time and expertise to promote public health throughout the year. They prepare for and respond to public health emergencies, and are a critical public health resource for our community. To learn more about joining the Medical Reserve Corps, visit On Call for VT.