Our Maternal and Child Health Coordinator develops and maintains relationships with community organizations and health providers to help pregnant and postpartum women and children be happy and healthy. To do this we:
- Connect with medical providers to promote statewide public health messages such as 049 (zero alcohol for nine months in pregnancy), safe sleep practices, dental health resources, and support to quit smoking.
- Serve on teams dedicated to protecting the health and safety of children and families.
- Share best practices and resources within the community to support pregnant and postpartum women and their children.
- Regularly review and share data with community partners.
- Collaborate with partner organizations such as Building Bright Futures, the Visiting Nurses Association of Chittenden and Grand Isle Counties, Howard Center, KidSafe Collaborative, and Children’s Integrated Services to create systems to improve access to care.
Our local health office also supports breastfeeding in the community. We do this by collaborating with workplaces to make them more accessible to breastfeeding moms. For example, through a Breastfeeding Friendly Employers grant, local businesses and schools were able to create private lactation spaces within their organizations. We also partner with the Chittenden County Breastfeeding Coalition to promote World Breastfeeding Week in August of each year. This includes the Big Latch On which helps communities positively support breastfeeding in public places. See more information on Worksite Wellness in Chittenden County.