Our school health team is available to work with schools across the county to support the needs of schools, families, and community partners to improve health outcomes for school age children. To do this we:
Increase access to care and coordinate with local health providers
- Local Highlight: We support the Burlington School District’s School Based Health Centers. In collaboration with University Pediatrics and Community Health Centers of Burlington, School Based Health Centers in four of the district’s schools provide health services to Medicaid eligible students. Taking special care not to disrupt the existing relationships between students, their families and primary care providers, students receive medical care, mental health care and referrals to medical homes and other community based health services.
Support school wellness teams
- Local Highlight: The Mt. Mansfield Modified Union School District and Chittenden East Supervisory Union is implementing the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) framework. Part of this effort included hosting a community summit on student wellness. Local health office staff gathered and presented relevant public health data to guide inform action planning.
Public Health Trainings for School Staff
- Local Highlight: The school health team partnered with school nurses and mental health professionals to plan and hold the “Addressing Anxiety in Schools: A Collaborative Approach” professional development event. Participants reviewed knowledge of anxiety disorders, learned about interventions and had opportunities to share their diverse experiences with the group.
- Support school nurses implementing immunization requirements and connecting to medical and dental homes, places where children can receive continuous and consistent care.
- Partner with Student Assistance Program Counselors (SAPs) to build staff capacity and understanding around substance abuse issues.
- Provide and interpret public health data related to schools, such as the Youth Risk Behavior Survey.
- Share information on health initiatives happening in specific schools with other schools across the county.
- Connect schools to grant and professional development opportunities.
- Chittenden Prevention Network
- Parents and Adults Celebrating Children and Teens (PACT)
- Safe Routes to Schools