Food & Lodging Program

The Food and Lodging Program works to protect Vermonters’ health and prevent disease by promoting sanitation and ensuring food safety. To accomplish this, over 6,000 restaurants, bakeries, caterers, and food processors—where food is prepared, served, processed, or stored—are licensed and regularly inspected. Lodging facilities including hotels, bed & breakfasts, and children’s camps are also regulated by the Food and Lodging Program.

Public health inspectors investigate foodborne disease outbreaks and respond to other public health emergencies throughout the state. Food and Lodging staff investigate reports from consumers including sanitation complaints, food product contamination, and suspected foodborne illness.

The Food & Lodging Program also serves as an educational resource for the public and the food service industry.

Complaints, Tips and Reporting Food Poisoning

The Food and Lodging Program responds to complaints involving sanitation in food and lodging establishments, food product contamination, and suspected foodborne illness. If you would like to submit a complaint, you may:

Send an email to

Contact the Food & Lodging Program at 802-863-7221 between 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. You may leave a message after hours or on weekends.

Please be prepared with the following information:

  • The name and address of the establishment
  • Specific information regarding the nature of your complaint—describe the situation or concern as completely as possible
  • Illness complaints should also include details on symptoms experienced including time and date, whether you sought medical attention, and what foods were eaten in the three days prior to experiencing symptoms
  • Date and time you visited the establishment
  • Include contact information if you would like a response or need to be asked for more information

Complaints with insufficient information may not be evaluated for follow-up.

Complaints about rental housing should be directed to your local Town Health Officer.

Note: Complaint information provided may be considered public record and subject to disclosure upon request.

Note: You may omit your name if you wish to remain anonymous.

Contact Information

Food & Lodging Program
108 Cherry St., PO Box 70 
Burlington, VT 05402-0070
Phone: 802-863-7221 or
800-439-8550 (toll-free within VT)
Fax: 802-863-7483

Use this Public Health Inspector District Map to find contact details for the inspector in your area.


In This Section

Retail food establishments include restaurants, catering companies, food trucks and push carts, as well as seafood vendors and limited operation establishments.

Establishments that process food—such as sauces, salsa, salad dressings, candies, chocolates, jams and jellies, etc.—for retail or wholesale markets, as well as food warehouses and distribution cen

Establishments that offer lodging to the traveling, transient public must apply for a Health Department lodging license.

Through this web portal, you can learn more about the inspection process and view recent inspection reports for food and lodging establishments throughout Vermont.

A temporary food service establishment is a food and/or beverage stand that is disassembled and moved from location to location.

Health Department regulations allow small home-based businesses to operate in a primary residence using standard home equipment. Home-based businesses include home bakeries and home caterers.

Search here for free food safety resources for our license holders.

This year, one in six Americans will get sick from foodborne illness. Find out what you can do to keep yourself and your family safe.