Lodging Licensing

Read the Guide to Opening a Lodging Establishment

Establishments that offer lodging to the traveling, transient public must apply for a Health Department lodging license. Applicants planning to operate a lodging establishment must submit the following at least 30 days prior to the anticipated opening date:

Once your application is processed, a public health inspector will contact you to discuss your plans and schedule an inspection. Review the Licensed Lodging Establishment Rule before your inspection. 

Please note that the lodging regulations were updated effective 1/1/2018. The department is working with establishments to implement the rule updates over the next year. Outreach and FAQ materials will become available on this website in the coming months.

You are responsible for contacting additional state and local entities for compliance with applicable regulations or policies for your business. Always check with your town clerk’s office for local requirements.

  • Register your business name with the Secretary of State.
  • Apply for a business tax account and a license to collect and pay applicable taxes at the Department of Taxes.
  • Contact a Permit Specialist at the Agency of Natural Resources to discuss wastewater and potable water system permits, and other applicable ANR requirements.
  • Contact the Department of Public Safety Fire Safety and Electrical Program, which inspects public buildings for fire and safety hazards, and the Plumbing Program, which inspects plumbing for compliance with state rules
  • Submit recent laboratory tests for coliform/E. coli and nitrates (establishments on private water systems only) from the Health Department Lab or other laboratory that is certified for drinking water analysis. Find a list of certified labs here.
Short Term Rental Housing

During this year’s special legislative session, the Vermont General Assembly passed legislation requiring that all short-term rental operators post a Vermont Meals and Rooms Tax account number on any advertisement for the short-term rental beginning July 1, 2018. This legislation also requires that the operator post in each unit the telephone number of the individual responsible for the unit. The operator also must post in each unit contact information for both the Department of Health and the Department of Public Safety’s Division of Fire Safety.

Existing and new operators should review information about the health, safety and financial obligations of short-term rental operators, prepared by the Department of Taxes, Department of Health and the Department of Public Safety. Also available is a self-certification form relating to health and safety precautions short-term rental operators must take into consideration prior to renting a unit. The form must be retained by the operator but does not have to be filed with the Department of Health.

Health Considerations of Short-Term Rental Operators

Safety, Health and Financial Obligations Self-Certification


A residential children’s camp that is a combination of programs established for the primary purpose of providing an experience for children operated and used for five or more consecutive days during one or more seasons of the year and supervising children for 24 hours a day requires a license from the Department of Health. Licensed camps should follow the Licensed Children’s Camp Rule and the food service regulations, if applicable.

Contact Information

Food & Lodging Program
108 Cherry St., PO Box 70 
Burlington, VT 05402-0070    
Phone: (802) 863-7221 or
(800) 439-8550 (toll-free within VT)
Fax: (802) 863-7483


Use this Public Health Inspector District Map to find contact details for the inspector in your area.