Radon and Gross Alpha Testing in Vermont

The Vermont Department of Health Laboratory offers two tests for radioactivity in drinking water: gross alpha activity (Kit RA) and radon in water (Kit RC).

Gross Alpha

Well water should be tested for gross alpha activity every five years. If alpha radiation is detected, additional testing may be needed to determine the source.

If you have received a gross alpha result, please read our results interpretation sheet

Find out more about gross alpha activity in drinking water.


Well water should be tested for radon in water when there is an indication of a problem, such as a past result indicating radon in the water or an elevated radon in air reading. Learn more about radon in the home.

Additional Resources