We work with area school districts, supervisory unions and community partners to support policies, practices and programs that have been shown to positively impact the health and well-being of kids in our community. We currently work with school wellness teams using the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child framework, in partnership with school health professionals, to promote well-care visits, immunizations, dental health, nutrition, physical activity and other efforts to ensure children are healthy and ready to learn.
Better Health for Our Community's Children
- Coordinate with school nurses and local primary care to ensure every child has insurance, a medical home, dental home and decrease barriers to services.
- Offer assistance and best practice resources for developing wellness policies using the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child framework. For example, in 2016, with assistance from our staff, the Springfield School District passed a new Wellness Policy that was developed and presented by a collaborative school wellness team.
- Participate in and assist school wellness teams at all stages of development.
- Collaborate with Student Assistance Program Counselors to address substance abuse issues.
- Share public health data related to middle and high school students, such as the Youth Risk Behavior Survey by Supervisory Union.
- Provide information about grant and professional development opportunities.