Congratulations to the 2012 School Wellness Award Winners!
- Vermont Healthy Schools - the Vermont Healthy Schools Resource for nutrition and physical education/activity, and find about the annual school wellness awards.
- Fit WIC Vermont - Resources to help families with young children (birth to age five years) increase their physical activity and have fun.
- Vermont Action for Healthy Kids - supports healthy eating and active living for youth through a variety of statewide resources and programs that include mini grants to schools and the Fit and Healthy Kids School Wellness Awards.
- Girls on the Run Vermont - Girls on the Run© is a non-profit prevention program that encourages girls in grades 3-8 to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.
- Run Vermont - Youth running and activity programs, including Many Milers, Y.A.M. Scram, and Junior Youth Relay.
- Safe Routes to School - For children in grades K-8, Safe Routes to School is about walking and biking to school regularly, routinely, and safely.
Fit & Healthy Kids is a broad program for addressing issues of childhood obesity, nutrition and physical activity.
The Department of Health is working with the Department of Education to coordinate this initiative among state agencies, including the Department of Buildings and General Services, Agency of Transportation, and the Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.
This joint effort includes representatives from around the state, such as schools, health care entities, business organizations, employers, and community groups.
More information about childrens' health and obesity is available at the American Public Health Association.