WIC in Vermont

WIC: Growing Healthy Families

Exclusively breastfeeding moms have the largest food package and the greatest variety of foods to support their decision to provide breast milk for their baby. WIC foods help support your growing family to eat a wide variety of healthy foods!


  • Milk - 1%  or skim for everyone over age 2, Whole milk for children 12 - 24 months
  • Whole grain bread or brown rice or whole wheat pasta or whole wheat or corn tortillas
  • Yogurt
  • Cheese
  • Eggs
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • 100% fruit juice
  • Breakfast cereal
  • Peanut butter or Canned or Dry beans
  • Tofu and fortified soy beverage
  • Infant formula, and baby food fruits and vegetables for your 6-12 month old baby

Frequently Asked Questions about WIC

What is WIC?

WIC is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, a program that helps families eat well and stay healthy.

Return to Top

What can I get from WIC?

  • Some of the Many Benefits of WIC include:
    • Nutrition + Health Education
      • In-person nutrition counseling
      • Online learning about nutrition, cooking classes and activities with your child, and
      • a quarterly newsletter with information on nutrition, health and local events.
    • Healthy Foods
    • Breastfeeding Support
      • Breast pumps, groups and classes
    • Referrals to Healthcare and Connections to Community Programs like:
      • Dentists, pregnancy and pediatric care and help quitting smoking
      • Home visiting, La Leche League, Parent Child Centers and Head Start

Click here to learn more about upcoming changes to the WIC program, coming this summer 2015.

Return to Top

Who is WIC for?

Income-eligible and nutritionally or medically at risk pregnant, postpartum or breastfeeding women, infants and children up to 5 years old.

Return to Top

How long can I stay on WIC?

You may stay on WIC as long as you meet the income, health, and age guidelines.

For women:

  • While you are pregnant, and
  • If breastfeeding, up to one year after your baby is born.
  • If not breastfeeding, until six months after your baby is born.

For babies and children:

  • Until your child reaches age 5

Return to Top

What do I need to do to stay on WIC?

Every 6 months, WIC staff will check to see if you, or your child, still qualify for WIC. This is called recertification. You will need to make an appointment to see us and bring:

  • Proof of residency, identity, and income (a Medicaid or Dr. Dynasaur card is considered proof of all three).
  • Your child’s immunization records.
  • Your baby or child.

Click here to see how recertification will change with eWIC.

Return to Top

How does the program work?

  • If you are income eligible, you may contact the Department of Health District Office serving your town or city of residence.
  • You will set up an appointment at one of the local clinics—held in many locations around the state—where you will be provided with a variety of health and nutrition-related services, including health screening, nutrition education and counseling.
  • You will receive an eWIC card to buy WIC Foods. WIC foods include milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs, peanut butter or beans, whole grain bread, cereal, fruits and vegetables, and fruit juice.  Take a look at the Vermont Food Guide with an updated list of WIC-approved foods.
  • You may receive additional services, including individualized nutrition counseling, and referrals to other related programs.
  • If you are breastfeeding, you’ll receive additional support and educational materials. You also may get extra foods as well as a breast pump when you return to work or school.

Return to Top

What are my rights?

  • You have the right to nutrition education and referrals to other health services.
  • You have the right to have your WIC transferred to a different district or a different state if you move.
  • You have the right to be treated fairly and courteously by WIC staff.
  • You have the right to be treated with courtesy and respect by your vendor or grocery store and their employees.
  • You have the right to have information you give to the WIC program treated as confidential.
  • You may appeal any decisions made by WIC regarding eligibility for the program for yourself or your child(ren).
  • WIC is an equal opportunity program. You have the right to WIC services regardless of race, color, national origin, age, sex (of children) or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Return to Top

How can I get answers to my nutrition and health questions?

In addition to your WIC appointments, you can join other families for health and nutrition activities. These activities may include cooking classes or talks about topics like breastfeeding, healthy pregnancy or healthy foods kids like to eat. You can also make a private appointment or call your Department of Health District Office, Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., to get answers to nutrition questions.

Return to Top

What should I do to help the WIC program work for me?

  • Keep your WIC appointments. Call to reschedule if you can't go to an appointment. If you miss an appointment, your foods may stop.
  • Treat staff and vendors with courtesy and respect
  • WIC foods are for the participating family member. You cannot sell or give away your WIC foods or infant formula. Contact your district office if your food order needs to be changed.
  • Call your district office about any changed in your name, address, telephone number, income or Medicaid status.
  • If you move, ask WIC staff how to transfer your WIC to a new location in Vermont or another state.
  • If you started WIC when you were pregnant, tell us when your baby is born.

Return to Top

How do I get my WIC foods?

You will buy all WIC foods at a WIC-approved grocery store using the Vermont eWIC card.

WIC cardThe eWIC card gives you access to your family's food benefits through WIC's electronic benefits system. It looks and works like a debit card. Each card has a Primary Account Number (PAN) and is accessed with the cardholder's Personal Identification Number (PIN).

The eWIC card is the key to your family's eWIC account. Each month, your family’s food benefits will be automatically deposited into your eWIC account. Every time you purchase a WIC-approved food item, that item will be deducted from your montlhy balance.

With the eWIC card, you can shop when it's convenient for you. And choose from a wide variety of WIC approved foods at major grocery stores and some smaller stores.

Return to Top

How can I contact WIC?

  • Email the WIC State Office - wic@vermont.gov
  • Call the WIC State Office at 1-800-649-4357, or 802-863-7333.
  • Visit the District Office web page to find contact information for the Health Department district office that serves your community.

Return to Top

Are there other programs for families who get WIC?

Many WIC families are enrolled in other related programs and services.

Medicaid & Dr. Dynasaur

Medicaid is a jointly-funded, federal-state health insurance program. In Vermont, Medicaid insurance programs for pregnant women and for children up to age 18 are known collectively as the Dr. Dynasaur program. For information about Dr. Dynasaur and other Medicaid coverage, you may call (toll-free within Vermont) 800-250-8427.

3SquaresVT Program

 3SquaresVT (formerly food stamps) is a nutrition assistance program that provides benefits for the purchase of nutritious food to qualified low-income people and their families.

For more information about the 3SquaresVT, call (toll-free within Vermont) 1-800-479-6151.

Return to Top

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on thThe U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Page updated 4/8/2015