Act 60, adopted by the 2010-2011 General Assembly, created a DNR/COLST1 Order informed surrogate consent study committee. The committee's charge is to study and make recommendations on the criteria to be used for rules concerning individuals who are giving informed consent for a DNR/COLST order issued pursuant to 18 V.S.A. § 9708(b), but who are not the patient, the patient’s agent, or the patient’s guardian.
The committee, convened by the commissioner of health, reported its findings and recommendations to the Legislature on November 30, 2011.
Any proposed rules will be filed with the Office of the Secretary of State, and the Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules
NOTE: The required effective date of this rule amendment has been delayed to 3/01/2013 in accordance with Act 76 of the 2011-2012 Vermont General Assembly. The final revision to the proposed rule amendment has been correspondingly delayed until 2013.
- Study On DNR/COLST Order and Informed Consent
Presentation by: Bessie Weiss, AAG for the Vermont Department of Health,Madeleine Mongan, Deputy EVP for the Vermont Medical Society
Study Committee Report to the Legislature
- Informed Consent for a Do Not Resuscitate Order or Clinician Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment (Submitted Nov. 30, 2011)
- Act 60
- Advance Directives [ Rules ] [ Statute ]
- Guardianship for People with Developmental Disabilities
ABA Commission on Law and Aging
- Table of State Laws Relating to Default Surrogate Consent
- Table of State Laws Relating to “Unbefriended” Individuals
Vermont Ethics Network