J-1 / Conrad 30 Visa Waiver Program
Vermont Rural Health and Primary Care

farm with cows and barn

Placement and Service Area Priorities

Vermont prioritizes placement of primary care physicians in, or serving patients living in, Federally-designated Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA's) or Medically Underserved Areas (MUA's).

However, we will also review applications for medical specialists and employers outside of designated areas according to the following priorities:

Other specialities will be considered for waivers if the employer can document need and service to patients living in designated shortage or underserved areas.

Non-designated area requests: Up to 10 "flexible slot" J-1 visa waivers may be granted each year to physicians in primary care or medical specialities (see lists above) working outside designated shortage areas, if the employer can document professional need and service to patients living in designated shortage or underserved areas.

Return to Top

Procedures and Information

Vermont accepts J1 waiver applications throughout the year. We do not charge a fee to apply.

We do require the following before we will submit your Visa Waiver application to the US Department of State:

To begin the process of Medical Licensing in Vermont, contact the Vermont Board of Medical Practice.

To learn about current openings in Vermont hospitals, clinics and practices, register with the Vermont Recruitment Center.

You can find listings of health care careers in rural & underserved areas from the Rural Recruitment & Retention Network, or other provider placement services available on the Web.

To save some time, you may begin your national credentialing process and your application for a Vermont medical license before you have a job offer.

We recommend that applicants find a lawyer who is experienced in J1 Visas or other immigration law to guide you through this process. Often, the hiring institutions will recommend or provide a lawyer.

Return to Top

For questions or to submit a waiver application packet

Rachel Green, MPH
Rural Health Program Coordinator
Vermont Department of Health
108 Cherry Street, PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05401-0070
Tel: 802-859-5921
Email: Rachel.Green@vermont.gov

Return to Top