Death Certificates

Although a physician, physician assistant or advanced practice registered nurse is responsible for filing the death certificate, the task is often delegated to the funeral director. Most of the information needed to complete the death certificate is obtained from the family of the deceased. However, it must be a physician, physician assistant or advanced practice registered nurse who completes and certifies the cause of death information. Once a death record is completed in the Electronic Death Registration System (EDRS), it is registered and the death certificate is available to the town clerks for filing.

In addition to receiving copies of vital records from Vermont town clerks, the Health Department also receives copies of certificates of all Vermont resident births and deaths that occur in other states and in Canada. This allows the Health Department to do statistical analyses of vital events involving Vermont residents even if the birth or death occurred outside of the state.

Ordering a Copy of a Death Certificate


  • Complete and print the form below.
  • Make check or money order payable to "Vermont Department of Health".
  • The fee for certified copies is $10.00 per copy.
  • Return the request form with your check or money order to the address on the form. Do NOT mail cash.

Order a Certified Copy

Some internet browsers will not allow for the filling of a PDF file. You may need a current version of Adobe Reader to complete this process. If so, click on the link below for a free download.

Get Adobe Reader

Fetal Deaths and Abortions

Reports of fetal death and induced termination of pregnancy (abortion) are sent directly to the Health Department by the physician, hospital, or clinic that performs the procedure. By law, these reports are for statistical purposes only, are not public records, and are destroyed after five years.