Birth Certificates & Parentage Forms

Birth certificates are used throughout a person’s lifetime as the primary legal source of information on one’s proper name, place of birth and parents’ names. It is used to provide proof of age and identity for many events in life: entering school, getting a driver’s license, passport or marriage license, tracing family history, receiving retirement benefits and more.

For children born in hospitals or at home with a licensed midwife, the doctor or midwife will complete and file the child’s birth certificate. For children born without a medical professional present, please contact the Vital Records Office for assistance at 802-863-7275 or toll-free in Vermont at 800-439-5008.

ordering a copy of a birth certificate

Learn about upcoming changes to birth & death certificates in Vermont due to Act 46 (2017).

When it goes into effect, Act 46 (2017) will enhance the safety and security of birth and death certificates, provide better protection against misuse of these legal documents, and reduce the potential for identity theft. The changes also streamline the statewide system for creating, storing and tracking birth and death certificates. The changes go into effect on July 1, 2019.

What You Need to Know

  • Only family members, legal guardians, certain court-appointed parties or their legal representatives can apply for a certified copy of a birth or death certificate. For death certificates, a funeral home or crematorium may apply for a certified copy.
  • Applicants must show valid identification when applying for a certified copy of a birth or death certificate.
  • Certified copies of birth and death certificates can be ordered from any town in Vermont.
  • Nothing will change when it comes to ordering copies of marriage, civil union, divorce or dissolution certificates, but there will be minor changes to what you need to do to obtain a marriage license.

Read Act 46 (2017) in full

You will not automatically receive a copy of your child’s birth certificate. To get a certified copy, you may send an order form or a written request along with $10.00 to the clerk of the town or city where the birth took place, to the clerk of the birth mother’s Vermont town or city of residence, or to the Vermont Department of Health. We recommend that you get a copy as soon after the birth as possible. This will help you make sure that the birth was registered properly and that the information on the certificate is correct.


  • Complete and print the form below.
  • Make check or money order payable to "Vermont Department of Health".
  • The fee for certified copies is $10.00 per copy.
  • Return the request form with your check or money order to the address on the form. Do NOT mail cash.

Order a Certified Copy

Some internet browsers will not allow for the filling of a PDF file. You may need a current version of Adobe Reader to complete this process. If so, click on the link below for a free download.

Get Adobe Reader
Filing a Birth Certificate

When a birth occurs, the physician, midwife or other birth attendant is required to complete the birth certificate and file it with the clerk in the town or city of birth within five calendar days. For hospital births, it is usually the medical records staff who complete the certificate. The municipal clerk receiving the original will send one copy to the clerk in the Vermont city or town where the mother lives and another copy to the Vermont Department of Health.

Correcting a Birth Certificate

You may request minor corrections by contacting the clerk of the city or town in which the birth occurred. Also, the Vermont Department of Health will send you a Notification of Birth Registration approximately three months after your child’s birth. This is not the actual birth certificate, but it shows some information that appears on the birth certificate. If you find a mistake, cross it out, print the correct information, sign the form and return it to the Health Department or to the clerk of the city or town in which the birth took place. NOTE: A change to the child’s last name or to either parent’s last name requires a court decree ordering the change. If you have specific questions, please call the Vital Records Office at 802-863-7275 or toll-free in Vermont at 800-439-5008.

All corrections must be made before the child is six months old. After that time, corrections can be made only by order of the probate division of the superior court of the district in which the child was born.

Parentage Forms

Pursuant to the Vermont Parentage Act, these forms are for the execution of parentage under Title 15C, Chapter 3 of the Vermont Statutes Annotated.