Immunizations are the single most important way to protect against serious and sometimes deadly diseases. Many of the diseases that vaccines prevent can’t be easily treated or cured, and some are especially dangerous for infants and young children. Even one infected person can cause an outbreak of diseases like measles and chickenpox.
School Entry Immunization Rules set minimum immunization requirements for attendance at public or independent kindergartens, elementary, secondary and post-secondary schools, to protect students, staff, and visitors against vaccine-preventable diseases within schools.
For information contact:
Vermont Department of Health
802-863-7638 or 800-640-4374 (toll free in Vermont)
NOTE: Immunization regulations were updated to reflect changes made to the Vermont Immunization Law in accordance with Act 157 (2012).
- F.A.Q. for School Administrators related to upcoming changes in immunization regulations for 2016.
- School Entry Requirements Manual
- Immunization Regulations
- Immunization Surveillance and School Data
Questions about immunization?
Find information and join the conversation: Visit OKtoAskVT.org.
The School Entry Requirements Manual is a comprehensive resource for Vermont school and school nurse personnel, as well as other health care providers.
The Manual is divided into four sections:
Documents are provided in pdf format.
- School Entry Immunization Regulations (eff. Jan. 01, 2013)
All Forms current as of March 13, 2015
School Immunization Exemption
- Notice of Missing Immunization(s)
- Notice of Exclusion
- K-12 Provisional/Exempt Line List Worksheet
- Procedural Flow Chart for Records Assessment
- K-12 Immunization Checklist (optional use)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Vaccine Safety
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) Report -- "Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality," August, 2011
- Vermont Immunization Registry
- Vermont School Heatlh
- Vermont Department of Health District Offices
- U.S. Vaccine List - Vaccines and Related Products
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccine Recommendations
- "The Pink Book" - Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases