What you need to know:
- There are other effective ways to deal with pain.
- Opioids are highly addictive.
- Opioid addiction and overdose is a growing problem.
- Opioid use at young ages increases the potential for addiction later in life.
- Prescribers play a role in the supply and use of opioids in our communities
The best prescription for pain may be the one that’s never written.
Your doctor can suggest a number of options for managing your pain that are not opioids. Find out which pain management approach is best for you.
Ask yourself: Do I really need this?
If you are prescribed opioids, talk with your doctor about the risks, including addiction and overdose.
If you or someone you know needs help getting into treatment, or if you just have questions, contact a local provider in your area. Not sure where to start? Get free, confidential help 24/7 by calling 2-1-1 or visit vermont211.org.