Guide to Operating a Food and/or Lodging Establishment in Vermont

License Application, Fees, Regulations, Guidlines

The following materials will assist you with applying for a license to operate food or lodging related establishments in Vermont:


Statutory Guidelines and Fee Schedule


Return to Top

Contacts You Must Make

Contact the town or city clerk’s office in the municipality in which you will locate your establishment for any local zoning restrictions, licensing or permit requirements.

Contact the Public Health Sanitarian in your area so that you can arrange a plan review with him/her prior to new construction. The local sanitarian is also available to answer questions and will be responsible for conducting inspections of your establishment.

Contact your Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) Regional Office for their permitting requirements. The building owner must be involved in this part of the process. Your project must have ANR approval before a license to operate your establishment can be issued by the health department.

Contact These State of Vermont Departments:

Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
Reviews and approves public building plans, assures compliance with Act 250 requirements or other environmental laws.

Vermont Department of Labor & Industry

Vermont Department of Taxes
To apply for a Vermont business tax account and license to collect and pay applicable taxes.
Tel: 802-828-2551

Return to Top

Other Vermont State Offices You May Need to Contact

Depending on what business or service you wish to establish, you may need to contact one or more of the following:

Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets
Tel: 800-675-9873

Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation - Water Supply
Public water supply monitoring.
Tel: 802-241-3400

Vermont Department of Liquor Control
Tel: 802-828-2345
Issues liquor licenses (department of health food license must be issued first—name of both licensees’ must be to the same person or corporation)
Tel: 800-642-3134

Vermont Secretary of State
Tel: 802-828-2386
To register the name of your business.

Contact Food & Lodging Program

Food & Lodging Program
Vermont Department of Health
P.O. Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402-0070

Tel: 802-863-7221 or (toll-free within Vermont) 800-439-8550

Return to Top