The Health Department works closely with the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living and long-term care facilities to help them prepare for cases of COVID-19. Other types of group living settings can follow strategies to detect and prevent the spread of respiratory viruses like the new coronavirus.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
The Health Department has contacted all long-term care facilities, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and senior housing facilities proactively to review strategies to prevent COVID-19 infection and develop plans to respond immediately if an infection is identified. We complete an in-depth assessment by phone and provide guidance about personal protective equipment and other infection prevention and control recommendations. We continue to stay in touch for any technical assistance needs and additional questions.
If a case of COVID-19 is associated with a long term care facility, an epidemiology team is quickly activated. They contact the facility to provide recommendations and infection control support. The team begins contact tracing to determine the source of the infection and how it may be spreading. They ask questions and collect information to help identify anyone the patient had close contact with. The team communicates with close contacts to ensure isolation and quarantine guidelines are being followed, which will differ depending on the type of setting.
- COVID-19 Personal Protective Equipment Guidance
- COVID-19 PPE Resource Request Form
- NEW: Guidance on N95 Respirator Sterilization in Your Region NEW(link is external)
- NEW: Writing a COVID-19 Outbreak Preparedness and Response Plan for a Long term Care Facility
- Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) information for Long-Term Care Facilities (link is external)
- Strategies to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities (CDC)
- Preparing for COVID-19 in Mental Health Residential Settings
- Guidance for Managers and Owners: Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Senior Living Communities
- Guidance for Managers and Owners: Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Apartment Complexes
- Guidance for Retirement Communities and Independent Living (CDC)
- Additional Guidance for Long-Term Care Facilities, Correctional Facilities and Other Congregate Settings (April 24, 2020)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Recommendations to Facilitate the Transfer of Deceased Patients from Nursing Homes, Long Term Care Facilities and Hospice Facilities (March 23, 2020)
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in Long-Term Care Facilities (March 5, 2020)
- Guidance to Reduce Facility-Based Transmission of COVID-19 in Congregate Care Settings (March 20, 2020)