Lead Information for Contractors: Certifications, Licenses, and Permits

Regulated Essential Maintenance Practices (EMPs) or lead abatement activities must be performed by certified professionals. These professionals include trained and certified EMP contractors, trained, certified, and licensed lead abatement individual contractors, and certified lead abatement contractor entities.

Essential Maintenance Practice (EMP) Certification

All maintenance and renovation of target rental properties and childcare facilities built before 1978 must comply with the Vermont Lead Law. EMPs must be performed by EMP-certified contractors.

You must attend an EMP class to become certified. Classes are generally available at no cost at various locations throughout Vermont. Visit LeadSafeVermont.org to see a list of upcoming classes, or call 802-863-7220 or 800-439-8550 (toll-free in VT) for more information.

Lead Abatement, Consulting, and Laboratory Contractor Certification and Licensing

To apply for a license as a:

  • Lead Abatement Contractor Entity (Abatement, Analytical, Consulting, Training)


  • Lead Contractor (Worker, Supervisor, Inspector I or II, Inspector/Risk Assessor, Project Designer, Sampling Technician),

Please submit a signed, completed application with all necessary documentation and fees—made payable to the Vermont Department of Health—in accordance with the fee schedule. For licensing and certification requirements, please refer to the Vermont Regulation for Lead Control.

Application Forms

For more information, please call the Asbestos & Lead Regulatory Program.

Lead Abatement Permits

A licensed Lead Abatement Entity wanting to begin work on a lead abatement project must submit a Lead Abatement Project Permit Application to the Health Department.

This application needs to be received by the Health Department on a department-provided form Lead Abatement Project Permit Application Form or a fax at least 10 working days before beginning any on-site work. A diagram, occupant protection plan (when applicable), and a written abatement plan of the project area needs to be included with the project permit application.

Please call the Asbestos & Lead Regulatory Program with questions.

Contact Information

Asbestos & Lead Regulatory Program
108 Cherry St., PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402
Phone: 802-863-7220 or
Fax: 802-863-7483