Asbestos for Contractors: Licenses, Permits & Notifications

Regulated asbestos abatement activities must be performed by professionals—trained, certified, and licensed asbestos abatement individual contractors or certified asbestos abatement contractor entities.

Asbestos Abatement, Consulting and Laboratory Contractor Certification and Licensing

To apply for a license as an:

  • Asbestos Abatement Contractor Entity (abatement, analytical, consulting, training)
  • Asbestos Contractor (worker, supervisor, inspector, inspector/management planner, project designer, project monitor, analyst)

Please submit a signed, completed application with all necessary documentation and fees—made payable to the Vermont Department of Health—in accordance with the fee schedule. For licensing and certification requirements, please refer to the Vermont Regulation for Asbestos Control.

Application Forms

Demolition, Renovation and Abatement: Permits and Notifications

Before demolishing or renovating a facility or a portion of a facility, an asbestos assessment must be completed to determine if there are asbestos-containing materials (ACM). This assessment must be conducted by a Vermont-licensed Asbestos Inspector.

No one may demolish or renovate a facility or a portion of a facility without first getting confirmation from the facility owner that an asbestos assessment has been completed according the conditions to this section.

If no ACM are found:

  • The Health Department shall be notified 10 working days before the demolition begins.

If ACM are found, and these materials will be disturbed due to the demolition or renovation, then:

  • ACM must be removed prior to the demolition or renovation by a licensed Asbestos Abatement Entity.
  • The Asbestos Abatement Entity must notify the Health Department 10 working days before the abatement project begins by filing an application for permit (see below).
  • The application for permit will be submitted with the permit fee as specified in Asbestos Abatement Permits (see below).

Required Instructions and Fact Sheets

Federal Notification Forms

Asbestos abatement permits

A licensed Asbestos Abatement Entity wanting to begin work on an asbestos abatement removal project involving Regulated Asbestos-Containing Materials (RACM) must submit an Asbestos Abatement Project Permit Application Form, 10 working days before the abatement project begins.

This permit application must be submitted with a diagram showing the location of the project activity within the building and the permit fee payment, as specified in Section 7 of the Vermont Regulation for Asbestos Control.

For more information, please call (802) 863-7220 or (800) 439-8550 (toll-free in VT).

Small scale short duration activities

Small Scale Short Duration Activities (SSSD) include any asbestos abatement activity that encompasses up to and including:

  • 10 linear feet of asbestos-containing material (ACM) located on pipes


  • 10 square feet of ACM from any surface within the abatement area within a facility

Projects divided up into smaller segments are asbestos abatement projects and not small scale, short duration activities.

All SSSD must be performed by a trained and certified Asbestos Worker or Supervisor. A completed SSSD notification must be sent to the Health Department, using the SSSD Notification Form, within 48 hours of the activity.

Contact Information

Asbestos and Lead Regulatory Program 
108 Cherry St., PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402
Phone: 802-863-7220 or
800-439-8550 (toll-free within VT)
Fax: 802-863-7483