There are several approaches and models for implementing continuous quality improvement, which can be applied to substance use disorder treatment providers, in addition to a variety of other settings. The Process Improvement Model of continuous quality improvement uses the Plan, Do, Study and Act
The Plan, Do, Study and Act Cycle
Each step of the PDSA cycle involves activities that give you opportunities to involve your staff, include your clients, and ensure a relevant, achievable and successful improvement process.
- Identify one specific area for improvement at a time.
- Decide on which strategy to use for that specific area of improvement.
- Implement the planned change in your treatment setting (often on a pilot basis).
- Assess the effects, both positive and negative.
- Expand implementation if the effort is successful.
- Consider other strategies if the effort is unsuccessful.
- Once this problem has been successfully addressed, identify another area or strategy for improvement.