The Vermont Department of Health Laboratory (VDHL) tests for intestinal parasites in patient stool specimens.
A total of three stool specimens (all collected on different days) should be submitted in the VDHL Kit # 2, which contains a specimen preservative, called “Total-Fix” preservative.
- Enzyme immunoassay (EIA) for Giardia and/or Cryptosporidium
- Microscopic examination for ova, larva, and cysts of parasites
- Cyclospora identification using the Acid Fast staining techniques
- Pinworm identification by microscopic identification (request VDHL Kit # 6, Pinworm Paddle)
For more information on specimen submission requirements or tests available visit our Forms & Ordering Information page.
Serology Specimen Submission for Parasitic Diseases
- The Vermont Department of Health Laboratory can also send serology specimens to the Centers for Disease Control for additional or unusual parasite testing.
- Information on submitting serology specimens to the CDC through the Vermont Department of Health Laboratory