The Health Department recognizes that school nursing is critical to the success of the school mission. The school nurse consultant provides support to school nurses - in consultation and coordination with the Health Department's medical director, chief of public health nursing, the Departments of Health and Education's Joint School Health Committee, and district health office staff.
The School Nurse Consultant is tasked to:
- Provide technical assistance to school nurses on the delivery of health services using best practice standards
- Assist in the use of establishing coordinated school health teams and provide assistance for sustaining these teams
- Provide leadership for the provision of health services
- Provide school health policy and program guidance for Health Department program managers, and other interested organizations.
- Assist in the establishment of protocols, best practices, and standards of care through collaboration with partner associations and agencies. Health Department will lead on the development of public health protocols
- Provide clinical consultation and technical support.
- Work with the Department of Education on school nursing issues common to both departments, but which are administratively or legally required by one. However, the school nurse consultant will not be involved with licensing or regulatory process which are in the domain of the Department of Education and the State Board of Nursing.
To achieve these goals, the state school nurse consultant will work in coordination with the Vermont Board of Nursing; the Vermont State School Nurses Association; the Vermont Child Health Improvement Programs at the University of Vermont; The Vermont Department of Education, and other related organizations.
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the Vemont School Health webpage or it's content, please e-mail: SchoolHealth@state.vt.us
For questions about statewide programs or policies administered at the local level, contact the Health Department District Office near you.