WIC is the Federal Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. WIC provides healthy food and a whole lot more, including nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to health care and other community programs. You can trust WIC to be your family's nutrition expert during critical periods of growth and development, like pregnancy, infancy and early childhood.
Over half the new babies and 40% of pregnant women in Vermont benefit from WIC. Our Newport Local Health Office serves about 1,000 individuals in Orleans and Northern Essex counties.
Our dynamic staff offers more than 45 years of combined experience serving our community in WIC. Our clinical staff consists of Health Outreach Specialists, a Public Health Dental Hygienist, Public Health Nutritionist and Breastfeeding Expert, as well as a Public Health Nurse.
We offer individual breastfeeding support, a breast pump loan program for mothers returning to work or school after having a baby, as well as a variety of Nutrition Education Workshops. Our activities include:
- Story Times at area libraries
- FIT WIC play opportunities at area playgroups
- Summer Farm to Family activities
- Breastfeeding and Baby Behavior classes
- Making Baby Food workshops and Dental Health screenings
- WIC2Five provides weekly health and nutrition tips by text. Each message is specific to your child’s age and stage of development, and offers helpful health and nutrition information, and more! WIC2five is just one of the many benefits from WIC, your family’s trusted source for nutrition information.
- WICHealth.org Online Learning (in English and Spanish) – Online nutrition education for WIC participants. You can do it anytime and anywhere you have internet access. Use any computer, tablet or smart phone.
Regular clinic hours at the Newport Local Health Office are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 3 p.m. We also offer early morning and early evening appointments. Same day scheduling is available when possible.
We have partnered with North Country Pediatrics to offer WIC services during children’s well-care visits.
You can also visit an Outreach Clinic in Island Pond or Canaan:
- C & C Supermarket, 71 Church Street
- LaPerles IGA, 64 Trooper Leslie Lord Hill
- Derby Village Store, 483 Main Street
- Price Chopper, 56 Commons Drive
- Shaw’s Supermarket, 4340 Route 5
- Kingdom Market, 12 Railroad Street
- Vista Supermarket, 21 Waterfront Plaza
- Walmart, 115 Seymour Lane
- Thibault’s Market, 52 Main Street
West Stewartstown, NH
- Solomon’s Store, 32 Main Street
Our goal is to help you and your family be healthy and thrive. When you choose WIC for your family, you’ll get the support you need to give your child the best possible start in life.
Our staff members are ready to take your call today and help you sign up.
Call 802-334-4390 or 1-800-952-2945, or email AHS.VDHOLHNewport@vermont.gov