Licensing a Temporary Food Service Establishment

A temporary food service establishment is a food and/or beverage stand that is disassembled and moved from location to location. The food stand must operate for no more than 14 days in any one location. If you plan to sell prepared food at a farmers market, fair or other special event, you may need to apply for this license.

The summary of Temporary Food Service Establishment Requirements outlines the requirements for successfully setting up a temporary food stand. A handwash station is required for every temporary food service event. Use this guide to build your own handwash station. 

You should submit an application to operate a Temporary Food Service Establishment at least 15 days before the first event. Incomplete applications will be returned and will delay the licensing process.

Each temporary food stand must hold an individual license to operate. Separate applications and fees are required for operating more than one temporary food stand at events or locations.

Licensed bakeries or exempt home bakers wishing to sell baked goods only, without any additional preparation on site, do not need a Temporary Food Stand license.

Read the University of Vermont Extension fact sheets in the Food Safety for Farmers Market Vendors Series: Selling Prepared Foods and Baked Goods and General Food Safety Practices, Providing Samples, Selling Fresh Produce.

Event Coordinators

Event coordinators play a vital role in sharing information and verifying license status with your food vendors to help avoid issues during the event.

To help us prepare for your event, please provide details in advance by completing the Event Coordinator application. There is no fee for the application, and the form can be sent electronically or by regular mail. Event Coordinators can prepare by confirming that each food stand is properly licensed before the event, as public health inspectors will not accept applications or fees on-site. Vendors must be able to present the license at the time of inspection. 

Contact Information

Food & Lodging Program
108 Cherry St., PO Box 70 
Burlington, VT 05402-0070    
Phone: 802-863-7221 or
800-439-8550 (toll-free within VT)
Fax: 802-863-7483

Use this Public Health Inspector District Map to find contact details for the inspector in your area.