|Beef Stroganoff (<
(yields 5 servings; serving size is 6 oz)
- 1 pound lean beef (top round)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 6 cups macaroni or other pasta, cooked in unsalted water
1. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick skillet.
Sauté onion for 2 minutes.
2. Add beef and sauté for additional 5 minutes. Turn to brown
evenly. Remove from pan and keep hot.
3. Add remaining oil to pan; sauté mushrooms.
4. Add beef and onions to pan with seasonings.
5. Add wine and yogurt; gently stir in. Heat, but do not boil.
6. Serve with macaroni.
Note: if thickening is desired, use 2 tsp cornstarch;
calories are the same as flour, but cornstarch has double thickening
|Nutrition info for
Calories: 400 • Total Fat: 7 g • Saturated
Fat: 2 g • Cholesterol: 45 mg
Carbohydrates: 55 g • Fiber: 3 g • Sodium: 150 mg
Recipe adapted from: A Healthier You. Based on the Dietary
Guidelines for Americans. (2005) U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.