|Butternut Squash, Apple and Leek Gratin (Serves 4)
- 6 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into about ½ inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 ½ cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp melted trans fat free margarine
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (coarsely chopped or leave whole)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine the 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs with 2 Tbsp melted butter and pine nuts; set aside.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Heat 2 Tbsp canola oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in leeks and sauté for about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl combine the cubed squash with sautéed leeks, apple, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg and black pepper; toss to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared casserole dish; pour the apple juice or apple cider over the mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the prepared breadcrumb/pine nut mixture over the top, then return to oven uncovered for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Note: This total fat in this recipe is high due to the use of the oil, margarine spread, and pine nuts. However, the saturated fat is low due to the good fats these ingredients provide.
|Nutrition info for
Calories 400, Protein 7g, Carbohydrate 65g, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 2g,
Cholesterol 0, Sodium 220mg