|Minestrone Soup (45-60
(yields 16 cups; serving size is about 1 cup)
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 oz) can tomatoes
- 10 oz package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup macaroni or pasta, uncooked
1. Cook lean beef or turkey and onion in hot skillet until meat is browned.
Add kidney beans.
2. Break up large pieces of tomatoes. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients,
except macaroni, to ground meat and bean mixture.
3. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
4. Add macaroni and continue cooking until macaroni is tender, about
10 minutes. Stir several times to prevent sticking.
5. Remove bay leaves.
|Nutrition info for
Calories: 86 • Total Fat: 2 g • Saturated
Fat: 0 g • Cholesterol: 11 mg
Carbohydrates: 12 g • Fiber: 4 g • Sodium: 85 mg
by University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension