|Cabbage in Sauce (Serves
8, 3⁄4 cup per serving)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 small white or green cabbage, about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 hot pepper, seeded and chopped or a few drops of hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro or parsley (optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1. Boil potatoes in a saucepan until fork-tender. Drain and cut in half.
2. Wash the cabbage and finely shred. Drop into a large saucepan of
boiling lightly salted water. Bring back to a boil and simmer for 5
minutes. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat oil and sauté onion until soft. Add the
tomatoes and hot pepper and cook until the mixture is well blended,
about 5 minutes. Season with pepper to taste.
4. Stir in the tomato sauce and the spices.
5. Fold in the cabbage, add the potatoes and heat through.
|Nutrition info for
Calories: 130 • Protein: 3 g • Total
Fat: 5 g • Saturated Fat: 0 g • Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 21 g • Sodium: 30 mg
by University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension