| Super Berry Shortcake (Serves
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp double-acting baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp trans-fat free tub margarine
- ¾ cup fat free milk
- 6 cups fresh strawberries (or use blueberries or any other berries that are in season)
- ½ cup non-fat yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- For the topping, mix together the yogurt, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Set the topping aside in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow it to thicken.
- Wash strawberries, remove leaves, and slice. If using other berries, gently rinse in strainer. Store in refrigerator.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Using a fork, cut the margarine into the dry ingredients until you have a crumbly mixture. Add the milk and stir until dough forms.
- Turn onto a surface dusted with 2 tablespoons of flour and knead quickly 8 times, until the dough is smooth. Pat or roll dough ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into 6 squares, or cut with a floured 3-inch cookie cutter.
- Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet 10 to 12 minutes. Split warm shortcakes into two layers.
- Put 1 cup of berries and about 2 tablespoons of topping between the shortcake layers.
|Nutrition info per serving:
Calories 208, Protein 6g, Carbohydrates 39g, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1g,
Cholesterol 6mg, Fiber 3g, Sodium 300mg