|Hearty Squash Soup (Serves 4)
- 1 ¾ pounds pumpkin or squash, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, cooked, chopped
- 2 oz. long grain brown rice
- 1 pound carrots\cooked, sliced lengthwise
- 4 ¼ cups vegetable stock, boiling
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 stick cinnamon, halved¼ tsp. allspice
- ¼ pound frozen peas
- 1 orange
- To cook carrots, slice lengthwise and put slices in a casserole dish. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes. Continue to cook in microwave until carrots can be pierced with a fork.
- Place all ingredients, except peas and orange, in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 45 minutes, or until rice is soft.
- Add peas and cook another 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Cut 4 thin slices from the center of the orange for garnish. Grate the rest of the rind and squeeze out the juice. Stir the grated rind and juice into the soup.
- Serve in individual soup bowls, garnished with a twisted orange slice.
- To decrease the sodium in this recipe use low-sodium vegetable broth.
Nutrition info for
Calories 208, Protein 5.5g, Carbohydrate 4g, Total Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0,
Cholesterol 0,Sodium 517mg