VPMS for Health Care Providers & Pharmacists
The Vermont Prescription Monitoring System helps track the prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances — those drugs most likely to lead to abuse, addiction or patient harm if they are not used properly.
Vermont Licensed Providers and Pharmacists must register to use the VPMS.
Only health care providers, prescribers, and pharmacies licensed by the State of Vermont, and the US Drug Enforcement Agency, and registered with VPMS may access information in the database.
- Prescribers and pharmacists can now register online.
- Delegates and Residents online registration not yet available.
- More Updates
- When to Query the VPMS
- Frequently Asked Questions
- RxSentry Training Guide for Vermont Practitioners
- Practitioner/Pharmacist Registration Guide (presentation)
This series of brief training videos demonstrates how to use the VPMS.
VPMS Overview with Harry Chen, MD
Commissioner of Health
View the videos:
- VPMS Overview
- Getting Started
- Logging Out of the System
- Multiple Query Report
- Retrieving your User Name
- Technical Assistance and Support
- View all videos
Prescribers must query the VPMS in the following circumstances:
- At least annually for patients who are receiving ongoing treatment with an opioid Schedule II, III, or IV controlled substance
- When starting a patient on a Schedule II, III, or IV controlled substance for nonpalliative long-term pain therapy of 90 days or more
- The first time the provider prescribes an opioid Schedule II, III, or IV controlled substance written to treat chronic pain
- Prior to writing a replacement prescription for a Schedule II, III, or IV controlled substance
VPMS registration update
Prescribers and pharmacists can now register online.
VPMS is no longer accepting paper application forms.
All paper applications for prescribers and pharmacists received before the 11/15/2013 deadline for Act 75 compliance have now been processed. If you mailed in a complete application before the deadline, you should now have an active VPMS account.
The online registration systems for delegates and residents are in the final stages of development. This page will be updated when they are finished.
For technical support, including help with accessing the system, or forgotten passwords:
- Call: 800-225-6998
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Providers with Apple Computers
- Instructions & software for running Windows on a Mac
- Call: 800-511-MACS (6227)
Tel: (802) 652-4147
Fax: (802) 652-2019
Page updated 07/17/2014